- The Book is by a doctor called Luke. It was a scientific man who wrote this book (Colo.4:14).
- Luke was a friend and companion of missionary Paul. Indeed this book is his personal diary. Because, again and again the word ‘they’ changes to ‘we’ (Acts 16:10 – 17; 20:5 – 21:18; 27:1 – 28:16; also Philemon 23 – 24; Colo.4:10 – 17).
- Luke was a gentile. The important thing about the author is that, he was the only writer in the whole Bible who was not a Jew but a gentile – one of us (Colo. 4:11-12). God wanted a gentile to write the story of how the good news was taken from the sacred capital of the world – Jerusalem to the secular capital of the world – Rome.
- The refilling of the apostles with the Spirit (ch.4:23 – 31).
- The sin of lying against the Spirit (ch. 5:1 – 11).
- The reception of the Spirit by the Samaritans (ch.8:14 – 17).
- The guidance of Philip by the Spirit (ch. 8:29).
- The reception of the Spirit by Cornelius and his household (ch. 10:44 – 48).
- The call of Barnabas and Saul by the Spirit (ch. 13:1 – 4).
- The guidance of the Spirit at the Jerusalem Council (ch. 15:28).
- The guidance of Paul in his work by the Spirit (ch. 16:6 -7).
- The reception of the Spirit by the Ephesians disciples (ch.19:1– 6).
- The predictions by the Spirit of the fortunes of Paul (ch. 20:22 – 23; 21:11).
- The appointment of bishops by the Spirit (ch. 20:28).
- A personal appointment as an apostle by Jesus Christ
What did they think of it all?
PETER’S SERMON (Message) 3:12 – 26
- They disturb the peace – Wherever Christians have gone, they have been a disturbing element.
- The second reason comes from the priests. The reason why they supported the arrest was that the disciples were disturbing their power. They were the official teachers. They were in charge of the religious views of the people. Here the crowd were listening to the Galileans so that was disturbing to their Possession. So the disciples were arrested, because they were teaching God’s truth to the people.
- But the main reason, why they were arrested come from the theologians – the Sadducees- wealthy, aristocratic, rationalists who by collaborating with the enemy, occupying powers; now control the whole situation and whole nation- They were rationalist – they did not believe in any supernatural things. They were the new theologians of those days. They did not believe in miracles. They even denied the possibilities of His resurrection and said these things can’t happen.
Great Grace: God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense
- He is beginning with the things they are familiar with. Starting where they are and then you are likely to help them where you are.